Thursday, August 25, 2011

What I am Reading Today - Thursday's Thoughts on Education

I am feeling revived and revitalized after reading Laura’s blog, A Day Like No Other – really puts my problems into perspective!

What I love most about learning is that I am constantly reminded that everything that I have learned so far isn’t necessarily fact or truth: anything can change and frequently does! Black Death study lets rats off the hook: A study by an archaeologist looking at the ravages of the Black Death in London, in late 1348 and 1349, has exonerated the most famous animal villains in history.

In the northern hemisphere summer holidays are over and it is the first week or so of school. Millions of children will be starting school for the first time. Our family were lucky: we discovered home education before our eldest turned six and when we did venture onto the school grounds we picked a school that let us attend with our children – homeschool at school! My thoughts echo those of one of my all-time-favourite home education authors, Wendy Priesnitz,   I live for the day when the supports are in place so that children can maintain the close physical and emotional attachment they need as long as necessary, and are given the freedom to explore the world at their own pace...no matter what their age.” Read the rest of her blog The First Day of School and explore the rest of her thoughtful and informative website: www.wendypriesnitz.com

I had to pass on this link to the Essential Parenting site – it says in a nutshell many of the parenting practices I feel I learned the hard way through experience!

And another  site worth taking a peep at is Early Play Australia, which aims to be "a great place to connect all those involved in early childhood in Australia".

And this is for everyone who asks me if their homeschooled children will be able to get into university, etc… Education is changing, faster than our school system can handle. Every year I read about tertiary courses and subjects being made available free through online learning. Stanford University is now offering limited certificate courses for free.  “We want to open our lectures and bring education to places that can’t be reached today, to people that haven’t had access to higher education,” said Professor Sebastian Thrun, artificial intelligence lecuture from the engineering science department at Stanford University. 124,000 students have enrolled in his free class…Stanford for Everyone: More Than 120,000 Enroll in Free Classes. 
  
Until tomorrow, 
all the best
Beverley